Sunday, February 3, 2008

Big Brother is watching you

I have an interest in first edition printings of books that were controversial or historically significant in some way. One of the books I would like to add to my collection is a first edition printing of George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty Four. While browsing in a used bookstore, my heart nearly stopped. I found what at first glance appeared to be a perfect first American edition of that book. After a closer inspection, it was obvious that it was a reproduction of a first edition. But it was cheap, and it was too cool to pass up. It is something every advocate of freedom should own.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It shows good taste to collect first editions, and I usedstand the comment "It is something every advocate of freedom should own".

I read 1984 in the 60's and it scared me. I still have my old copy buried somewhere deep in the back of my basement, and I have no interest in locating it.

I'an an optimist by nature, but I believe our country is going to hell, yes, there is a little dichotomy in this sentence, and so reading 1984 would not be a good thing. It would only reinforce my bad thoughts.

I am reading "Testimony" by Nicolas Sarkozy. I have always admired France for their food, their wine, and their women, but mostly because they helped us win our reveloution. Now I add to my list the fact that our country has a friend in President Sarkozy, and I think we are going to need a few friends in the next few years.

Hayduke said...

I like the first editions, too, but I only have a couple in my collection -- most notably, Silent Spring, which an friend of mine who blames Rachel Carson for the malaria epidemic in Africa (he's wrong, however.

I also have a cool edition of The Monkey Wrench Gang with drawings by R. Crumb that is a highlight of my collection.

Anonymous said...

1984 - read it first in high school and a few times since. It still is my favorite book....