Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind...

I have no problem with Howard County taking action to keep signs from County maintained property, such as medians, shoulders of roads, parks and so forth. After all, the signs are a burden to those County employees who are charged with mowing those areas, and the signs are unsightly. However, I have to wonder the motivations of someone who wants to ban signs from private property, like the leasing signs in front of office buildings:

Large lease signs in front of office buildings are another issue, said Lloyd Knowles, a former County Council member, who brought photos to Ulman's news conference.

"I hope they move across the board," on these semipermanent signs, as well as the small cardboard variety in roadway medians, he said.

Knowles gave Ulman his photos, and complained that some business-lease signs seem to stay up forever.

Uh, the signs stay up until the building is leased, and the building owner owns and maintains the land, not the County. Who does Mr. Knowles think he is to want the County to waste resources dealing with signs on private property?


Now excuse my while I tuck my hair up under my hat...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We should be addressing the Real Estate signs.

Eldersburg1976 said...

and those pesky stop and speed limit signs that pollute our streets....