Wednesday, June 27, 2007

100!

At last, my 100th post! To celebrate this milestone, I thought I give a shout out to Carrie Underwood and Kevin Eubanks, who are the most recent recipients of the “Sexiest Vegetarian” award. I care about this award because, as a vegetarian, I am halfway qualified to receive it. Kevin Eubanks said something I could not agree with more:

"You do need adequate amounts of protein to build muscle, though," notes Eubanks, who first came to national musical prominence 22 years ago in Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers and has led The Tonight Show ensemble since 1995. "But I can easily get what I need from vegetarian sources."

That runs counter to longstanding beliefs surrounding bodybuilding and strength training which correlate big amounts of beef with big biceps. "Some people equate muscle and meat," says Eubanks, "but that could be because they may think it's got to be meat because that's the protein source they're used to eating."


When people find out I am a vegetarian, the first question I am asked is “where you get your protein?” Uh, from a lot of sources, actually: soy, nuts and veggies; all which are lower in fat than meat. The fact that so many people align meat with a healthy diet when the opposite is true shows what a great job the meat industry has done in deceiving the public.

Health and environmental concerns aside, I bet if the kill floor of slaughterhouses had webcams, the vast majority of our nation would become vegetarians overnight. But that would be bad for business, wouldn't it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're much hotter than Carrie Underwood, who, by the way, wears leather shoes.

Boo.

Anonymous said...

Many find it hard to believe my guns were crafted without the assistance of meat-based protein.

Congrats on the big 100!

Anonymous said...

Second to water, coca cola is my favorite drink.

FreeMarket said...

The drink I consume most is water. My favorite drink is Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I have an inexplicable desire to replace both with coke…

Anonymous said...

FM, stick with your Honey.