Sunday, December 23, 2007

Rudolph, you're next

Anyone who reads this blog knows that I am a vegetarian and an animal lover. Sometimes in this meat eating country, I feel like I am the only one. That’s why I find it interesting that many customers of Boarman’s Meat Market in Highland complained about seeing deer being butchered.

After four decades of processing deer, the market stopped accepting fully skinned deer this winter because owner George Boarman said too many customers were complaining after they saw a deer get butchered in the refrigerated trailers behind the store.

"People got really upset seeing deer skinned out back. ... They didn't want their children seeing it," said Boarman, 57. "What we're worrying about is the changing of the times. One [slaughtered deer's] hair getting loose and getting on someone's clothes, we can't have that kind of mistake."

I don’t blame the customers- that kind of thing would disgust me as well. However, I presume that these customers went to the meat market to buy meat in the first place. Where the heck do they think the ham, beef and chicken that they eat everyday comes from? It is amazing how well the meat industry has disassociated living and breathing animals with the neatly wrapped packages of meat that most people buy every week in the grocery store.

4 comments:

Eludius said...

I love meat, but I think of people slaughtering animals in the same way as gay people having sex - I know it exists, I'm not interested in stopping it, but I certainly don't want to think about it.

Anonymous said...

As they say, ignorance is bliss.

Jessie Newburn said...

I love eating meat, especially pork ... and bacon! (Makes me hungry just thinking about it.) I'm also aligned with the bigger principle that Freemarket's post addresses: disassociation from production of consumed goods, natural or otherwise, and the resulting unconscious and poorly formed choices that most consumers make.

Anonymous said...

Freemarket,

Thanks for having one the the most interesting blogs in Howard County,

I am impressed, that you, as a vegetarian, have the stomack to allow jessie newburn a comment on your blog. She is the Queen of Delete.

Merry Christmas to all,
and to all, a good bite.

Jim Adams