Sunday, November 25, 2007

To get on the bus that takes me to you...

Warren Miller had me excited for tomorrow’s commute:

"I'm driving around Lisbon, and there are green Howard Transit buses that are empty," Republican Del. Warren E. Miller said about the county's 26-bus system. "In Columbia, I rarely ever see one that is half-full."

Sweet! I didn’t know that I could ride public transportation to Columbia and save myself a few pesos. Something isn’t quite right, however, as I have not seen a big green Howard Transit bus in Lisbon. Ever. It turns out that Mr. Miller was confused:

Ray Ambrose, the Howard Transit administrator, said the county-subsidized scheduled bus service has not run to Lisbon for eight or nine years. What Miller is seeing, he said, are smaller para-transit buses used for nonscheduled individual appointments for disabled people.

Mr. Miller made his comment in an effort to argue that taxpayers in the Western end of the County should not have to pay taxes that fund services that they do not use, like Howard Transit buses. Instead, the folks who use those buses should pay for them. I approve of this concept. Similarly, gas taxes should fully fund highway construction and the cleanup of air pollution, since folks who consume gas are using the roads and compromising air quality. This will probably drive gas to, I don't know, maybe $9 or $10 a gallon? However, I suspect that Mr. Miller will be VERY selective in how he applies his “user pays” argument. I doubt he will use this line of thinking to attack, oh, the Horse Park that fellow Republican Greg Fox wants to build. Or the public library. Or public schools…

5 comments:

Jessie Newburn said...

I like your logic here, Freemarket, in showing said elected official that he might want to be a little more thoughtful and detailed in his thinking.

Anonymous said...

It's sad that Mr. Miller chose to use the observation of empty buses as an argument to shut down what he thought was service to the rural west, as opposed to drum up interest.

When I first saw that quote, I was excited, as when I had researched public transportation options for those in the west, all i had found was the paratransit to the senior center. I was hoping that had changed. Alas, Mr. Miller was just uninformed. Not shocking for a guy who says he is a lifelong resident of "PopUlar Springs."

I'd gladly fork over MORE than it would cost me in gas to get to Columbia, just to be able to sit in a bus, ride to Columbia, spend a couple of hours milling around, and ride the bus back. Alas, I don't have that option.

Anonymous said...

I guess we’ll know if Del. Miller reads this blog if he fixes the spelling of Poplar Springs on his website.

Anonymous said...

I was in Lisbon not to long ago, I didn't notice the bus, but I did see a horse. No one was on the horse.

I rode pass the Library, no one was there, even though it was very late at night.

The schools were closed this weekend, no one there.

I rode around the circle in the center of Lisbon three times, never saw another car.

If Warren reads this, or has experienced any of what I have in Lisbon, will he use these incidents as reasons to reduce our taxes.

Love you Warren.

Words unsaid, even in a political push poll are not forgotten.

Anonymous said...

Miller has nver been the brightest bulb. I am not even sure what he has really done in Annapolis since he got himself appointed while he was on the Central Committee.